Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bubur Nasi Hitam

I was an angry, sulky, rebellious teenager. I wasn't very comfortable in my own skin and I hated everything and everyone. In short, I was one big pain in the backside. I sure gave my parents hell (in return, my kids will probably provide me the same services because what goes around, comes around). I was a sad, pudgy kid who was confused about life and frankly speaking, a little lonely too.

There are some of the reasons why I don't like keeping in touch with the past and when the past comes back to visit, I make attempts to avoid it like a bowl of bitter melon juice.

However, a good book once read that you cannot bury the past. It only claws its way back to you. And true to its words, even though I've moved 6360 kilometers away from home, many of my former schoolmates have made, miraculously, the same decision. The result? Reunions.

I've since resigned to the fact that the world is far too small to run away. And to make amends with the past, I bought her breakfast last weekend. If I had the chance to speak to my young self, I would say this: 1)Don't be too hard on your self. 2)Don't take life so seriously because it doesn't even take itself seriously. 3)People actually don't bite when you make the effort to know them.

Bubur Nasi Hitam translates as Black Rice Pudding. Deliciously drizzled with santan, or coconut milk, it's an authentic Malaysian dessert served after dinner. Mom cooks it in a slow cooker the night before and that's why we have them for breakie in the mornings. I don't know why but I guess it's the same difference with cereal. It has the same consistency as Red Bean Soup but slightly thicker and richer (due to the coconut milk). It's best to add some dried longans for an additional fruity sweetness but if you can't find any, it's fine as it is.

Bubur Nasi Hitam (serves 4)
---------------------------------------------------------

  • 1¾ cup black glutinous rice
  • 2 pandan leaves or 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 5 cups of water
  • ½ cup palm sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1½ cups fresh squeezed thick coconut milk

Method:

  1. Rinse rice thoroughly for 2 minutes under running water. Drain well.
  2. Put water, rice and pandan leaves into a heavy-based pot.
  3. Simmer over medium heat for approximately 40 minutes.
  4. Add palm sugar syrup and continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  5. Season with a pinch of salt. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
  6. Serve at room temperature, topped with a swirl of fresh squeezed creamy coconut milk.

4 comments:

Zo said...

OMG I discovered the newly opened Malaysian takeaway down the road which does this. Thanks for the recipe though. I'm going to add a link to my blog on mine if that's ok - http://twospoons.uber.com/

Yay for student blogs! Or young people cooking... whatever :P

Maggie said...

This looks fabulous. I don't think my husband would eat black rice pudding though - he's not adventurous enough. I would love to try this.

Milky Way said...

its bubur pulut hitam not nasi

obat keputihan herbal said...

mksih y gan.