Saturday, July 12, 2008

Carrots and Baby Corn Porridge


What a tiring and stressful week. Both my youngest sister and my hubby are sick. Both have been sick since Tuesday. My sister was down and still is with cough and flu. And my hubby is down with viral fever, so his body temperature is going up and down like a yoyo from Tuesday till today. It freaks me out as this is the dengue season. Dengue fever dangerous it could be fatal as it reduces victim white blood cells. Fortunately, 2 doctors said my hubby does not have dengue symptom. *Phew.

My sister requested for carrot porridge. I thought that it is boring with just carrot in the porridge. So, I tested out this recipe. I add in baby corns and chinese cabbage. My hubby said it feels weird with the crunchy baby corn, as porridge should be soggy and soft. But they finished the whole pot. :)


Ingredients: (serves 5)
1 medium size carrot (peel off skin and cut into thin strips)
3 fresh baby corns (peel of the husks and cut into cubes)
3 leaves of chinese cabbage
1-2 slices of ginger (optional)
50g of thinly sliced pork or chicken meat
10 tablespoonful of cooked rice
1.5 liter of water
salt to taste

Method:
  1. Add water and rice into a pot. Boil them at high heat for 10mins.
  2. Add in the pork or chicken meat. Leave it to boil for 5mins.
  3. Add in the carrot, baby corns, chinese cabbage and ginger. Leave it to boil for 5mins.
  4. Then reduce the heat to medium - low. Continue boiling for another 30mins.
  5. Constantly stir the ingredients to ensure that the rice (rice will be porridge at this point) does not stick at the bottom of the pot.
  6. Depends on how thick you want the porridge to be, you can turn off the heat at your likings. Add salt to taste.
  7. You can serve porridge with salted duck eggs.

0 comments: