Friday, May 30, 2008

Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake


That's quite a mouthful isn't it? This is a cross between a butter cake and ... a lemon. It's from Mr. M's French cook book (yes, the one that I 'borrowed'). And I should have guessed, somehow, that it would be a big cake. How big? Well, let's put it this way, after I put the cake in the oven, there was still some leftover batter to make 12 cupcakes. So if you don't have an army to feed, please cut the recipe down according to your belt size.

My kitchen resembled a war zone with lemon cream cheese plastered all over the wall, my shirt, the sink, the floor, the cupboards, the kettle, the cups and much, much more. This is of course is probably due to my lack of skill - or perhaps, lack of equipment. One should not attempt this with a hand held mixer. I wish I had me one of those beautiful Kitchen Aid Artisan stand mixers (vocabulary input thanks to google).

The girls and I are heading out for dinner tonight and leaving the boys at home. I've made this cake and Tim Tam Kahlua ice cream for dessert. Seeing that it's going to be a cold night, we're having hot spicy cocoa with marshmallows. It's pure evil. I know. But an All-Girls'-Nite deserves this. We're worth it. ;P

A girl friend and I had a conversation about weight (as women do) and she said to me, "No one ever gets fat from enjoying food" (She heard that on Oprah). "It's usually a deeper meaning - a more emotional and psychological reason - why people reach out for food especially during in a stressful situation." I, too, read somewhere that, we equate food to love and whenever we feel 'unloved' - whether by parents or partners, we reach out for the next available thing - food. Hence the term "comfort food".

What's your vote on that?

Baked Lemon Cheesecake
----------------------------------------------------------
450g unsalted butter, softened
3 cups self-raising flour, sifted
2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp salt
3 cups caster sugar
250g cream cheese, softened
5 eggs, room temperature
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla essence

The Method
1. Preheat oven 160c. Butter tins.
2. Whisk flour, zest and salt together.
3. At medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy for about 5 mins.
4. Add cream cheese. Beat till smooth. Reduce speed to low.
5. Add eggs, one at a time. Incorporate one egg before you beat in another.
6. Beat in flour in 3 batches alternating with lemon juice and vanilla.
7. Pour batter into baking tins
8. Do the smell and skewer test i.e. when the scent of lemons fill the room, it's time to test it with the skewer.

12 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I reach for food if sad or anxious about something... That's bad, but I cannot help it. :)

That is such a wonderful cake! I love how you decorated it. Very delicate.

Happee Monkee said...

Thanks. I simply place a few doilies on top of the cake and sprinkle icing sugar on top. 'A few doilies' gives you more support when you remove it from the cake so icing sugar doesn't fall over the uncovered bits.

I'm going to try my own template one day. :)

The cake was remarkable! Everyone loved the lemony soft texture of the cake.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! This sounds like the perfect treat for me!

Happee Monkee said...

Go for it. You're worth it.

Cheeky said...

yeah! the cake was delicious!! :D

Maggie said...

Wonderful! I love lemon cheesecake.

test it comm said...

This cake sounds so good!

Anonymous said...

Tried it and love it...;) Thanks gal...

Anonymous said...

This sounds awesome...so love the lemon stuff right now...can't pass it up...can I link to this for a blog post I am doing on all things lemon???

Happee Monkee said...

Hi Tenina,
Sure you can. Most welcome to do that. It's a good cake. And good things are to be shared.
Cheers,
Monkee

Anonymous said...

this cake is EXTREME, larger than life i say!!! literally, the batter is enough for 2 cakes.. AND in the words of monkee.. DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH A HAND HELD MIXER unless u missed ur pilates class and need the exercise... happy baking.al

Unknown said...

I know this cake is huge but does it mean it'll come out to 2 9' cake? And do I have to bake it baine marie style? I've been looking for good cheesecake recipes and this looks more than great....:p