Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Peeping Pear & Passionfruit Pudding

There's something wrong with Happee Monkee *sobs* I really hopes it comes back up online soon. I suppose this might be a sign to devote more tender loving care to my first born - Twenty Something which started off as a blog for a group of twenty-somethings. It's a little sad how it's become more like a one-man show. So, my second wish for tonight (I hope my fairy godmother's listening) is that the other twenty-somethings comes back from wherever they are and blog again. More is always merrier. Especially around food.

I've adapted this recipe from last week's copy of Epicure. I've added passionfruit for a few reasons: 1) I had it in the refrigerator 2) I thought the citrus acidity could help with chemically balancing the bi-carb soda. (I'm not sure if it worked, but it looks OK).

I avoid using baking powder because I found that it contains aluminum. It may not be much but I've become a firm believer that a little bit of everything can one day amount to make a big something.

Bi-carb soda works with acid (as it's alkaline-based) to release carbon dioxide which gives the cake a boost. Hence, the rising effect. In fact, there's why some heirloom chocolate cakes has vinegar in it. It has the acid compound to react with the bi-carbonate soda. Compared to baking powder, it has less chemical compounds in it and I reckon it makes a healthier alternative. But that's just me. If you personally feel it doesn't work as well as baking powder, then please do replace the soda bicarb in this recipe. The end result should be the same: a moist pudding with the glorious scent of passionfruit and the soft sweet flesh of pear.
Peeping Pear Passionfruit Pudding ( serves 6 )
---------------------------------------------------------------

  • 6 small ripe pears
  • 100g palm sugar or brown sugar
  • 600ml water
  • 2 cinnamon sticks or 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup butter (approx. 150g)
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar (approx 150g)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup self raising flour, sifted
  • 1 tsp soda bi-carbonate
  • 4 passionfruits
  • 2 tbsp milk
Method:
  1. Bring sugar, cinnamon and water to boil.
  2. Poach the pears for 10 minutes or until pears are tender when pierced with a skewer.
  3. Pre-heat oven to 180C and grease baking dish.
  4. Beat butter, bi-carb and sugar until light and fluffy.
  5. Add eggs one at a time.
  6. Then mix in passionfruit pulp.
  7. Fold in half the flour, the milk and then the second half of the flour. Combine until smooth.
  8. Spoon into the baking dish.
  9. Trim the base of the pear and place firmly into the batter.
  10. Bake for 40 minutes or until pudding is set in the middle.
  11. Serve with icing sugar and thickened cream.

5 comments:

La Familia Verde said...

That looks delicious. I'll have to make it when I see pears. Is it like a clafoutis?

Happee Monkee said...

I have to honestly say that I don't know as I've never had clafoutis before. I've seen in on other bloggers' blogs so I must experiment it one day.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love your blog! How cool that you worked at Seventeen!

cindy* said...

this is a beautiful dish! i can't get passion fruit here, but this looks like something i might try in the coming holiday season.

Y said...

what a cute name for a dish! I love passionfruit in cakey things.