Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Orange & Poppy Seed Cake

I always thought poppy seeds were banned in Malaysia. The version I've heard is that the country has strict regulations against substances that may cause anyone to suffer from symptoms of extreme-happiness. Poppy seeds were one of them. So for the longest time, I've never had anything to do with poppy seeds.

Of course, this could be totally fictional and Mom might have been lying to me all my life but hey, all is well. I love Mom too much to care.

The recipe is from my bible: Donna Hay's Modern Classics Book 2. I'd borrowed it from my former workplace. But I now take that it was a gift. Again, I believe that I'm doing it justice by having its pages covered in batter. Better batter than dust I'd say. I'm sure Donna would appreciate that too. The eggs agrees ---

Orange & Poppy Seed Cake (serves 8 - 10)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 1/3 cup poppy seeds
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 200g butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

syrup
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1/2 cup shredded orange rind

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 160*c.
  2. Place milk and poppy seeds in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
  3. Beat butter, orange rind, and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Add eggs one at a time. Make sure each egg is fully incorporated before putting in the next.
  5. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture.
  6. Add orange juice, poppy seed & milk mixture into the batter.
  7. Spoon into a 20cm round cake tin.
  8. Bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until cook when tested with skewer.

Syrup
  1. While cake is baking, place sugar, orange juice and rind in a saucepan over low heat.
  2. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
  3. Increase heat and boil for 5 - 6 minutes or until syrupy.
  4. Pour half of the hot syrup over the hot cake.
  5. To serve, cut the warm / cold cake and pour over remaining syrup.


Get paid to review my post - Read here for more details.

27 comments:

Cheeky said...

it's totally delicious!! :D
a guinea pig here just tasted the cake that monkee baked! hehehe

Matthew said...

i never understood how anyone could call food 'gorgeous' when they they mean delicious.
but as soon as i sank my teeth into this slice of heaven, i understood why
mr. g is one lucky #%@*!

Happee Monkee said...

Cheeky: Thanks guinea pig

Matthew: Er thanks Matt for the comment. I'm sure Mr. G would appreciate that you had his slice of the cake. :D

NooNiaN said...

would kid get into trouble if she were to try import these back home to me here?

Happee Monkee said...

noonie: your stomach might get into trouble.

Matthew said...

I had the 2nd slice for breakfast with a cup of milk and it tastes even better than it did yesterday!
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!! WHAT IS YOUR SECRET INGREDIENT?!!

(wait on 2nd thought, i'd rather not know)

Matthew said...

last night i dreamt i was dancing with a slice of orange poppyseed cake in a green meadow..

..then i ate it :D

NooNiaN said...

gosh how much seeds did u put in that thing!!!

Happee Monkee said...

I think too much for Matt. He seems quite high.

Hui Yee said...

I think Matt is high too. Haha, becareful with poppy seeds. Seems like you can be tested positive for opiates...

"While made popular in the sitcom Seinfeld[citation needed], this was considered "confirmed" by the presenters of the television program MythBusters. One participant, Adam Savage, who ate an entire loaf of poppy seed cake, tested positive for opiates just half an hour later. A second participant, Jamie Hyneman, who ate three poppy seed bagels, first tested positive two hours after eating. Both tested positive for the remainder of the day, but were clean eighteen hours later." - extracted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy

Matthew said...

I AM NOT HIGH!!!
but i think i'm floating

Happee Monkee said...

The drunks always say they aren't drunk. They just throw up.

Matthew said...

that's not very nice...
NOW GIVE ME MORE ORANGE POPPYSEED CAKE!!!

Matthew said...

...please?


ok ok i'm not high, i'm not drunk, i just think the cake is fabulousss

Happee Monkee said...

Matt, don't you have work to do? I think I've created a poppy addict.

NooNiaN said...

might wanna put some warning n a disclaimer onto that recipe...

Happee Monkee said...

I think people can tell just by reading the comments.

Cheeky said...

matt - mushi is high on poppyseed! :P

noonie - u don't need kid to import it for u.. the recipe is here! u can try n bake it urself! ;)

monkee - if u do bake more for matt.. i want some too! XD

Happee Monkee said...

No more! He's dangerous around that stuff.

Matt, don't eat the container too please. I like to have it back some day. One day.

NooNiaN said...

he might dream of skipping across green meadows while holding the container...

Anonymous said...

It's always better that a cookbook be covered in batter rather than dust! This cake looks simple divine!

Brilynn said...

That looks awesome! I've always been a fan of lemon poppy seed cakes but have yet to make an orange one, I'll have to give it a try.

Vickie said...

can you tell me where i can get poppy seed in kuala lumpur

Happee Monkee said...

Hi Vickie,
I'm not so sure you can actually get poppy seed in KL. I heard rumours that it's banned becos of its 'ganja' properties. But I may be wrong. Btw, I have a new website - www.mabletan.com
I wonder if I can start selling poppy seed from there? HAHAHA

Cheers,
Mable

Anonymous said...

Great story as for me. It would be great to read a bit more concerning that matter. Thanx for sharing that info.
Sexy Lady
Call girls

laila ismail said...

This among my favourite

laila ismail said...

This among my favourite