Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Spicy Sticky Date Pudding


It's winter and there's sticky date pudding in the air. Any time to have pudding is always a valid reason, yes? I've adapted this recipe from Taste.com.au and added spices to it. Being Malaysian, I do enjoy my share of spices. It adds a lovely twist to anything.

I mean, what is life really without that? A twist. A twang. A zing. A zang.

There are some days I like my taste buds un-teased for example, vanilla ice cream. It's soothing. Comforting. Simple and plain. And whenever I feel it needs a little zhwoosh - I add 'stuff'. 'Stuff' like cherry liqueur, cherry ripe chocolate and macadamia nuts, or, like the one you see here is: Tim Tam chocolate, almonds and Kahlua . It's up to your imagination. As for me, it's always play time in the kitchen. :D Enjoy!


Spicy Sticky Date Pudding (serves 8)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* 250g pitted dates, chopped
* 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
* 1 1/2 cups boiling water
* 120g butter, softened
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 eggs
* 1 3/4 cups Self-Raising Flour, sifted
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon sugar
* 1/2 tsp mixed spice

Caramel sauce
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 300ml thickened cream
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 60g butter


Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a cake pan (I used a loaf pan, but that's entirely up to you).
  2. Place dates and bicarbonate soda into a bowl. Pour over boiling water. Allow to stand for 20 minutes.
  3. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy.
  4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  5. Fold through date mixture and flour until well combined.
  6. Spoon mixture into prepared cake pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn onto a plate.

Caramel Sauce
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 minutes.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, great shot! Anything with caramel sauce gets my vote ;)