Monday, June 23, 2008

Khmer Fish Curry

This is my first food community project. Every month, Nicole from For the Love of Food has a foodie event called: Taste & Create. Nicole's job is to partner food bloggers and get us to cook something from our partners' blog. It's like picking a menu from a random restaurant but instead, we're our own chefs :) It's a pretty good way to cookcialize.

This month, my partner is Lauren from I'll Eat You. I decided to try her recipe for Khmer Royal Catfish. I was in Cambodia earlier this year to visit schools around Phnom Penh and Siem Reap for disadvantaged kids. I had been working to collect digital cameras to be given away to the students so that they could take pictures of their day-to-day lives. The pictures were to be put into a book and sold to raise funds for the schools to buy computer and such. So off I went solo, to discover the humble people, their lovely manners and generosity (even though they had so little themselves) and their courage to move on from a bitter past (more about my visit here).

The minute I saw Lauren's post I knew I had to give it a go.
Note: I've changed the original recipe according to my taste buds and items I had in the fridge. Go here for the original Lauren's Khmer Royal Catfish recipe.

Khmer Fish Curry (serves 2)
--------------------------------------------------------
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 fish fillets (about 400grams)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 4 kaffir lime leaves, de-veined and julienned
  • 1/2 cup water
for the paste:
  • 2 tbs hot paprika
  • 1 1/2 tbs sliced lemongrass
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 2 medium shallots
  • 5 kaffir lime leave, de-veined
  • 2 tsp chopped ginger
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1 1/2 tsp shrimp paste
  • 1/2 cup water

Method
1. Put all the paste ingredients in a blender or food processor, combine till smooth and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok over med-high heat.
3. Fry the fish until golden brown. Set aside, covered, to keep warm.
4. Cook the paste and for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until aroma is released.
5. Add coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar. Cook 5 minutes more, stirring constantly.
6. Remove from the heat and add fish. Let sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Transfer fish and sauce to a platter, garnish with julienned lime leaves. Serve with rice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message to visit our blog. :)

Lauren said...

yours looks beautiful! I hope it was tasty! I've really enjoyed getting to know you through your blog this month!

Happee Monkee said...

Hi Lauren,
It was really good! I altered the recipe a little because I didn't have some of the stuff.
How did the muesli go?
Thanks for dropping by
{Monkee}