Friday, April 25, 2008

Plum Cake



Hello, so I see you've met our other twenty-somethings. They take good photos and most importantly of all, they love food.

I should mention a few things about my baking mannerism. I don't follow recipes. Or at least, I don't follow it to a T. If I feel that the batter (ooo yes, I taste them before I bake 'em) isn't sweet enough I add a necessary amount of sugar. If I feel it's too runny, I add more flour. So you get the idea. Like Nadhirah says, if you want sure fire solid recipes, she's your gal.

But me? I'm your 'screw-those-recipes' type. Go with your instincts. If you mess up, you know what not to do next time. Easy.
As long as it taste good (and if you're cooking to impress, looks good) that's all it takes.

So time for the recipe:
Plum Cake
----------------------------------------------------------
100g butter
1/4 caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups of self-raising flour, sifted
1/4 milk
4 small plums sliced thickly
1 tsp of cinnamon sugar
1 tsp of nutmeg

Method
1. Preheat the oven at to 190c.
2. Place fruit face down into a plate of brown sugar.
3. Line round tin with baking paper.
4. Arrange fruit in tin.
5. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it.
6. Cut 10g butter into cubes and place on top of the fruit.
7. Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream till light and fluffy.
8. Add egg, flour, nutmeg and milk into the mix.
9. Spoon unto the fruit.
10. Bake for 45 - 50 mins or until skewer comes out clean when tested.
11. Let it cool. Dust with icing sugar and serve.

Note: If you're serving it after dinner, and it's been in the fridge, cut out a slice, microwave it (I hate those things but they do zap fast) for 50 seconds and serve with a generous (LIKE A WHOLE DOLLOP) of vanilla ice cream. Feast on it!

Note 2: Be creative and experiment with other fruits like apples, pineapples, strawberries, blueberries, pear, peaches yada yada yada....

1 comments:

Maggie said...

I like the sound of this recipe. What size baking tin would you recommend for this please?