Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mascarpone Berry Tarts with Caramel Sauce


I was invited by Sophie from The Back Burner to participate in their July berry recipe contest. I served mascarpone on puff pastry last weekend and had heaps leftover. I have been aching to make tarts for some time now after that tart Mr. G and I shared months ago. It was an extraordinary strawberry tart from a local bakery and ... and ... sigh ... it tasted like a dream.


Speaking of dreams, I had a weird one last night. I dreamed that my family home became a huge swimming pool. OK, imagine Titanic but instead of a ship, it was a house. I was swimming in and underneath tables, chairs, passed the sofas and my mother. There was a lot of water. I remembered thinking in my dream, I can't swim, I should get out. Like I said, weirdddd.

Can anyone decode that?

Mascarpone Berry Tarts with Caramel Sauce (serves 3)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 sheet of instant shortcrust pastry
500g mixed berries
1 cup mascarpone
1/2 cup brown sugar + 2 tbsp
25g butter
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp icing sugar

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 190*c/ 375*F.
  2. Place a sheet of shortcrust pastry onto tart tins. Trim any excess pastry with a knife.
  3. Remove pastry from oven and sprinkle 2 tbsp of brown sugar on the pastry and return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
  4. Remove pastry from oven and leave aside to cool.
  5. Meanwhile, put the remaining brown sugar and butter into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves.
  6. When sugar has dissolved, add water and stir until combined.
  7. Spread the mascarpone into the tart cases when it has cooled completely.
  8. Arrange the berries on top of it.
  9. Spoon the caramel sauce on top of the tarts and sprinkle with icing sugar to decorate.
  10. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving Serve immediately.

3 comments:

mimi said...

these look like lovely pastries! i love mascarpone cheese! and thanks for visiting my blog, and yes add me to your list!

Y said...

They look so gorgeous. I'd happily wade through a pool of mascarpone to get to the berries :D

Happee Monkee said...

Mimi & Y: Thanks for visiting. Love to have you around.