Sunday, May 25, 2008

Saturday Breakie Beans with Sausages

For the longest time, I remember baked beans as mushy beans soaked in gooey diluted 'tomato sauce' in a can. Dad used to make bake beans with meat patties every night for dinner whenever mom went on teachers' training - which I'm glad didn't happen very often.

I was rummaging my pantry and found some food stuff that looked interestingly unexplored such as polenta and a variety of dried beans. And because now I'm 'all grown up' and not afraid of experimenting with things I previously held my button nose high and away, I decided to make some baked beans with sausages for breakfast.

And you know what?
I've totally fallen in love with the dish. :)

It's an absolute yum, and although Mr. G reckons the beans could have been boiled a tad softer, I like a texture to bite into (*brr* mushy beans). We'll rate this a 4.5 out of 5 (Mr. G says a 4 because he says it's a little too spicy).

Saturday Breakie Beans with Sausages
----------------------------------------------------------
200g borlotti beans (soaked overnight)
200g kidney beans (soaked overnight)
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
1/2 cumin powder (gives out a smoky flavour)
400g can diced tomatoes
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tbs HP Sauce

Your favourite sausage from the deli. I used spicy pork sausages, and for Mr. G, a herb beef sausage.

Method

0. Boil the beans in a pot of hot, slightly salted water for 30 minutes (or more if you like your beans to be softer).
1. Pan fry the sausages over medium-high fire. Slit the sausages so that it cooks well-done inside (it's a rude shock to bite into some raw bits). Swab the oil from the sausages with absorbent paper from time to time.
2. Set aside the sausages when it's cooked.
3. Add the onions to the frying pan until onions are translucent.
4. Throw the garlic in.
5. Add paprika and cumin. Stir fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
6. Add the diced tomatoes, sugar, the rest of the sauces and beans. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Return sausages to frying pan. Serve hot with a sprinkle of parsley.

2 comments:

test it comm said...

That looks like a tasty breakfast!

Happee Monkee said...

It definitely was. I read that the sauce (-minus the beans) is just as good with pasta. That'll be dinner for me!