Happy Mothers' Day to all the mom's out there. Special note to my sisters: Michelle, Bee, and, especially of course, my mom, for being such incredibly awesome women! You've done a wonderful job bringing great kids up into the world (which means also, me).
This cake was pretty easy, however, no flour means a longer baking time. Mr. G and family had some for tea and Mr. G couldn't resist having seconds even when his mom was saving it for dessert later tonight.
As usual, I'd improvised. The original recipe was without orange (or cream and Cointreau) so you can omit the orange juice and zest and replace it with two (2) tablespoons of vanilla extract instead. You can also add some nuts like macadamia or walnut. They would go well. I would say be bold and go wild with this cake. There's plenty of ways to make it your signature cake.
Flour-less Orange Chocolate Cake
280g of dark cooking chocolate, chopped
250g unsalted butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
juice of an orange
zest of an orange
300ml double cream
3 tsp Cointreau or orange liqueur (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180c
2. Lightly butter the baking tin and sprinkle one tablespoon of sugar around the tin and shake off excess.
3. Melt the butter and chocolate in a double pan until smooth. Stir frequently.
4. Beat the eggs (one by one) in with the sugar until fluffy.
5. Add cocoa, half the juice and 3/4 the zest (keep the rest to decorate).
6. Slowly add in the chocolate mix.
7. Pour into baking tin. Tap gently to release air bubbles.
8. Place cake tin in a roasting pan covered 3/4 inch up with boiling water.
9. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour.
The Cream Top
1. Beat cream till thick and ... you know... whippy.
2. Spread on cake.
3. Add zest, orange juice and liqueur.
Have small dosages of the cake first because it's truly rich. So rich that you'll be blessed with an extra inch to your tummy, hips, hair, arms (put wherever applicable). But hey, if you think it's bad... that's why it's awesomely good.
Teaching a workshop in Sicily — October 2017
4 days ago